Bristol Festival of Literature Event - Kraken Rises!
Parlour & Secret locations
With - David Gullen, Jonathan Howard, Tim Maughan, Emma Newman, Gareth Powell, Gaie Sebold
Join a one-day creative writing competition with access to 6 authors in 4 locations, including activities such as making a book, cut up techniques and digital hands on including interactive maps. The Top 10 stories will be published by Angry Robot. Other great prizes to be won. The first 50 entrants will be given a copy of Robinson Crusoe kindly donated by Wordsworth Classic Editions. Details of what to write will be given on the day - no writing in advance! Terms & conditions apply, see http://unputdownable.org for details
We are also running an illustration competition as part of this event
Cover art competition
Your mission is to create the cover and title art for a new book being published for Bristol Festival of Literature by Angry Robot. The book will contain the Top 10 stories from our Kraken Rises! creative writing competition and will be sold as an ebook. Submit as a hi-resolution jpeg to Trail@unputdownable.org by 30th September 2013. The winner and commended runners-up will be announced on October 4th, by email, and all entrants invited to the Exhibition Launch at The Parlour, College Green, Bristol BS1 5TB on Fri 18 Oct, 7pm, and the winner will be invited to the launch of the book itself on Sat 26 Oct.
Every time there is a great comet in the sky Bristol suffers a bout of extra weirdness. These events are called “kraken events”. The SS Great Britain ramming a giant squid in the Bristol channel? A Kraken event. Giant tentacles emerging from the city sewers? A Kraken event. What we’re looking for in the cover is an exercise of imagination - illustrate a new Kraken event for us! Don't forget the comet and make sure that it is recognisably Bristol! Be clear and bold - the cover will need to work in ebook retailers around the world! The title text will be Kraken Rises! and you can include it in your design or leave it to us, either way is fine, but leave space for it!
All entries will have their work digitally displayed at the festival hub (The Parlour) from 19-27 October and the first 50 entrants will be eligible to receive a copy of Robinson Crusoe, courtesy of Wordsworth Classic Editions, to be picked up from the festival hub during the festival. To enter (or to ask further questions), email us now to say you're taking part, on: Trail@unputdownable.org
Follow #Krakenrises! On Twitter via @Bristollitfest Plus get the news and full programme on unputdownable.org
Please read the rules carefully before entering.
1. Kraken Rises! cover art competition is open to all U.K. and non-U.K. based artists
2. Closing date for receipt of entries is 30th September at midnight BST.
3. Entries must be made via email to Trail@unputdownable.org.
4. There is no entry fee, 1 picture per artist only
5. Entries will not be returned. Please keep a copy. No corrections or alterations can be made after receipt.
6. Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and must never have been previously published, in print or online (including websites, blogs, social network sites), or broadcast or won or been shortlisted in another competition. Any entry found to have been plagiarised will be disqualified.
7. All entrants must agree to have their work published in the Kraken Rises! Anthology in e-book format
8. The winning artist will receive a free copy of the e-book
9. Entry implies an acceptance of all the Kraken Rises! Cover art Prize rules. Entries that fail to comply with the entry rules and requirements may be disqualified.
10. The competition will be judged by a panel from BFL and Angry Robot. The judges’ decision is final.
Post a Comment