Thursday 26 June 2014

Clarion Write-a-thon. What? Why?


Last week I signed up for Clarion West Write-a-thon and committed to write 1,200 words a day for around six weeks (which I’ve so far managed). The Write-a-Thon officially runs at the same time as the Clarion Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers' Workshop at UC San Diego. From June 22 to August 2, 2014, Write-a-Thon writers and sponsors can tap into the creative energy of the renowned six-week Clarion workshop, encourage this year's Clarion students, and help secure the financial future of Clarion, all without leaving home.   
Clarion     

Why did I do it – I hear you ask?

Well it’s a write-a-thon, and I’m a writer so it seems like it’s something I can do. It’s also a fantastic course (that one day, I dream I may eventually be able to attend, just need to find my fortune first!) and a great bunch of folks. I did it last year and it kick started my first attempt at a novel. Now I’m hoping it will help me crank out the first draft of my novel in progress. If I manage to hit the 1,200 words a day I’ll end the write-a-thon with a book length draft (adding the almost 50 odd thousand words to the 30 odd thousand words I already have)

So it’s a good way to give myself a kick and raise some money for a good cause. So if you enjoy this blog, and my short stories and would like to see my debut novel at some point in the future then please do sponsor me. As Mr Tesco is fond of telling us – ‘every little helps’.

If you sponsor me $10 I will write you a flash fiction story of between 100 - 500 words
For $20 I'll do one of 500 - 1000 words
For $40+ I'll write you a short story of around 3,000 words

Mail BRSBKBLOG at GMAIL in order to get your stories (which will be written after the write-a-thon has finished.

All donations are made through The Clarion Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, EIN #20-3114945.

FAQs here: http://clarionwriteathon.org/qa/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog