Tuesday 7 May 2013


Dial H volume 1 China Mieville

Average 

A GN by Mieville I must read it! Sadly it didn’t live up to my expectations. OK the premise is good (the mysterious dials that turn you into a different superhero every time you use them) and I can see it sparking Mieville’s imagination and the art is really nice but the story, such as it is, is a little confusing. Now I’m not talking about  plot point a leads to plot point b leads to plot point c – that’s pretty easy. What I’m talking about is that it fails as a comic, the story needs to be told in pictures and text working together to create a whole greater than the sum of its parts. It is, however, sometimes difficult to follow what’s going on and pictures and text just don’t gel. Add to the fact that this is territory Grant Morrison (and I’m no fan boy of Morrison BTW) has already mined in the far superior (and yet not so enjoyable that I continued with the series after the first couple) Doom patrol  - i.e. the “weird” superheroes with “weird” powers and I’m left feeling more than a little under-awed.

 

Overall – Because it’s Mieville it’ll sell a ton but I’m not impressed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog